This tubular-pneumatic action instrument was installed by the British Pianoforte Depot Ltd. in 1914. The English pipework and German mechanical components remained intact until rebuilds in 1957 and the early 1960’s. General deterioration of the instrument saw the need for a proper restoration in the 1990’s, and, with the consultant Kelvin Hastie’s concurrence, our proposal for a conservative restoration (with the judicious replacement of some later-added stops) was accepted in 1994. This process was carried out in two stages:
- Restoration of the bellows and trunking, replacement of blower motor, replacement of all puffers. The Great soundboard was moved forward on the standframe to allow it to project more effectively from the chamber into the nave.
- Restoration of soundboards, replacement of worn parts, cleaning of all pipes, repacking, regulation etc. A new Harmonic Flute 4′ was added to the Great and a Violin Diapason 8′ and Bourdon 16′ on the Swell (which were replaced in the 1957 rebuild). All these stops were obtained from pipework out of the redundant 1881 Forster & Andrews Sydney University organ. The console was refurbished with replacement Stop Discs done in the original lettering style.
8′ Open Diapason 16′ Major Bass
8′ Stopped Diapason 16′ Sub Bass
8′ Dulciana 8′ Bass Flute
4′ Principal Tremulant
4′ Harmonic Flute Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
2′ Fifteenth Great to Pedal
Mixture IV ranks Compass 58/30
8′ Violin Diapason
8′ Lieblich Gedackt
Swell Octave Coupler
Three combination pistons to Great
Three Combination pistons to Swell
British Pianoforte Depot.