This instrument was originally built by George Benson of Manchester in 1889. At that time the keyboards controlled a mechanical action , with pneumatic action on the pedals. It was enlarged in 1928, and received further enlargement in the subsequent rebuild of 1951( including electrification and replacement of the slider chests by cone-pallet chests), both carried out by Whitehouse Bros. of Brisbane. In 1985 J. W. Walker & Sons (Aust) rebuilt the organ with a new console and some new stops, resulting in the following specification:
Double Diapason 16' Open Diapason 8' Gedact 8' Gamba 8' Principal 4' Harmonic Flute 4' Fifteenth 2' Twelfth 2 2/3' Mixture III Trumpet 8' Fifteenth 2' Mixture II Trumpet 8'
Open Diapason 8' Stop. Diapason 8' Principal 4' Flute 4' Recorder 2' Clarinet 8' Tuba 8' Sesquialtera II Chimes Tremulant
Violin Diapason 8' Rohr Flute 8' Salicional 8' Voix Celestes 8' Gemshorn 4' Koppel Flute 4' Piccolo 2' Mixture III Cornopean 8' Clarion 4' Oboe 8' Tremulant
Acoustic Bass 32' Open Diapason 16' Bourdon 16' Cello 8' Principal 8' Fifteenth 4' Schalmei 4' Trombone 16'
Swell Super Swell Sub Choir Super Choir Sub Swell to Great Swell to Choir Swell to Pedal Great to Pedal Choir to Pedal Choir to Great
Five Thumb Pistons on each manual with signal lights. Full Organ reversible with light. Great to Pedal toe piston. Swell to Great reversible thumb piston. Great to Pedal Combination coupled reversible with light by both thumb & toe piston. General Cancel. Balanced Swell and Choir Box pedals mechanically operated.
In 2005 a Laukuff electronic capture system with 60 levels was installed by Simon Pierce. This included an extra 12 general pistons, giving much-needed flexibility to an instrument in regular demand for public performance.