This organ was built by George Croft, the renowned Auckland organ builder in 1909 and is regarded as his magnum opus. It was rebuilt in 1985 with a revised specification, altered wind system with lower wind-pressures, electric action and a changed console. We were asked to restore the organ to give its original feel and sound. We removed the added bellows and returned original bellows to double-rise. The original wind pressures were used and the specification was revised to match the Edwardian ethos.
In May 2000 Nazareth Lutheran Church, Hawthorne Street, Woolloongabba, burnt down by arson attack. All that was left were the brick walls. The church had been built in 1896 for the Lutheran congregation of South Brisbane that had been founded in the 1860s. As with South Australia, there was an influx of German migrants to Moreton Bay and as a result the Lutheran church has had a strong presence in South East Queensland.