In May 2000 Nazareth Lutheran Church, Hawthorne Street, Woolloongabba, burnt down by arson attack. All that was left were the brick walls. The church had been built in 1896 for the Lutheran congregation of South Brisbane that had been founded in the 1860s. As with South Australia, there was an influx of German migrants to Moreton Bay and as a result the Lutheran church has had a strong presence in South East Queensland.
This organ was built by George Croft, the renowned Auckland organ builder in 1909 and is regarded as his magnum opus. It was rebuilt in 1985 with a revised specification, altered wind system with lower wind-pressures, electric action and a changed console. We were asked to restore the organ to give its original feel and sound. We removed the added bellows and returned original bellows to double-rise. The original wind pressures were used and the specification was revised to match the Edwardian ethos.
Pipe organs contain parts that wear out or otherwise become unserviceable. When an instrument reaches this state, it is obvious in some cases that there were errors in selection that may be capable of remediation. At the time of replacement of the worn-out parts, the cost of altering other components […]
ORGAN BUILDING IN NEW SOUTH WALES BETWEEN 1850 and 1900. A project submitted as part of the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in the Department of Music, University of Sydney. WILLIAM PIERCE SYDNEY, 1953 PAGE 1 This project on organ building in New South Wales between […]